With your support, we can continue to make Seaton academically challenging and nurturing for our children. Seaton Elementary School is a community based on diverse cultures, creative community partnerships and vibrant parent involvement. Your contribution, whether it is your time, knowledge, or resources make a difference. We personally invite you to become an involved member at Seaton. Thank you for helping in any way you can, and showing your children the importance you place on their education!
- What is the PTO?
- What does the PTO do?
- Who can join the PTO?
- When and where are the general body PTO meetings?
- How can I stay informed about Seaton PTO events and activities?
- What programs does the PTO fund and support?
- I am a parent or guardian of a Seaton student. Who can I contact to get involved or find out more about Seaton PTO?
- I am a Seaton employee. Who can I contact to get involved or find out more about Seaton PTO?
- PTO Leadership 2017-18
What is the PTO?
PTO stands for Parent Teacher Organization. The Seaton Elementary School PTO is a nonprofit group of parents, teachers and staff dedicated to improving the educational experience of all students at Seaton Elementary School. Our goals are to encourage interaction between family and school, serve as a source of support and work with teachers, staff and the community to improve our children’s educational experience. The PTO works closely with the school administration to meet this goal.
What does the PTO do?
In short, we want to make our school a great place for our kids to thrive. We help transform Seaton Elementary from a collection of bricks and mortar with books inside into a community where the kids and staff know they are not alone.
How we do this will change from year to year. The Seaton PTO is young, founded in 2015, so the 2017-18 school year will be focused on broadening our base of volunteers, increasing school-to-home and home-to-school communication, making parent involvement more welcoming to all of our parents, and supporting our teachers and other staff however we can.
Who can join the PTO?
You can! The Seaton PTO is not a member organization. The PTO, instead, is a volunteer group of parents, teachers, and other concerned persons wishing to support the Seaton PTO’s goal of enhancing educational excellence at Seaton Elementary School.
When and where are the general body PTO meetings?
We have six scheduled meetings for the 2017-18 school year. All meetings will be held at 5:30 p.m. at Seaton Elementary School.Meetings are scheduled for the following days:
Thursday, Sept. 14, 2017
Thursday, Oct. 19, 2017 (Elections)
Thursday, Dec. 7, 2017
Thursday, Feb. 22 , 2018
Thursday, April 19, 2018
Thursday, June 7, 2018
How can I stay informed about Seaton PTO events and activities?
The PTO communicates with parents, school staff and the community through the SeatonDC.org website, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter (@SeatonDC), WhatsApp, WeChat, an email Google Group, take-home fliers, a PTO message board in the main hallway and fliers on the school doors.
What programs does the PTO fund and support?
The Seaton PTO has implemented a variety of programmatic, school support and fundraising activities since its inception in 2015. We have:
• Purchased a new laptop for Principal Jackson
• Hosted three movie nights
• Helped the school raise money for the library and other purposes by volunteering at two book fairs
• Won a $4,000 grant for the library
• Helped purchase food for and organize Thanksgiving baskets for Seaton families
• Purchased over $2,000 in playground and exercise equipment, consistent with our healthy schools initiative
• Won a $1,000 grant for Multicultural Day, and raised over $1,000 in matching funds, thus making an over $2,000 contribution to Seaton’s Multicultural Day
• Opened a CaféPress store with Seaton-themed gifts
• Designed new Seaton T-shirt, and managed two orders
• Partnered with the Washington Performing Arts Society and sponsored African Dance workshops for aftercare students. It paid one-half the cost.
• Set up an online account/website button for donations and payments over our website
• Arranged for a local photographer to donate his time for low-cost photo sessions to benefit Seaton and provide low-cost professional family portraits
• Organized teacher-appreciation meals: salad bar, holiday breakfasts
• Selected a new photographer for school pictures and yearbook
• Created a Seaton yearbook
• Gifted a Seaton yearbook to all fifth graders for graduation
• Redesigned and maintained the SeatonDC.org website
• Organized a bingo fundraiser and social event
• Organized summer playdates for incoming and current Seaton families
I am a parent or guardian of a Seaton student. Who can I contact to get involved or find out more about Seaton PTO?
Please email Suki or Sara at FamilyRelations.SeatonPTO@gmail.com. Suki and Sara are the co-chairs of the Family Relations & Recruitment Committee.
I am a Seaton employee. Who can I contact to get involved or find out more about Seaton PTO?
Please email Kristin Abbott at TeacherStaff.SeatonPTO@gmail.com. Kristin is chairperson of the Teacher/Staff & Classroom Support Committee.
PTO Leadership 2017-18
• President — Richard Lambert
• Vice President — Paul Raul
• Secretary – Leyla Strotkamp
• Treasurer – Althea Smith
School Assigned Positions (ex officio non-voting members)
• Principal — Kim Jackson
• Assistant Principal — Suzie Jacobs
• Teacher or staff member
Standing Committees – Appointed by President
Communications (Chaired by Becky Bowers)
• Social Media
• Text Messaging tools
• Support other Committees
• Comprehensive Communications Platform
Campus Events & Enrichment (Open Chair Position)
• Multicultural Day
• Fun Day
• Moving Up Ceremony
• Book Fair Volunteers
• Healthy Schools Initiative
• Movie Night
• Summer Play Dates
• Club/Activity Sponsorship
• Date Night
Community Engagement (Chaired by Carmen Ramirez)
• Business Partnerships
• Surrounding Neighborhood Outreach
• Community Organization Outreach
Family Relations & Recruitment (Chaired by Suki Lucier)
• Parent engagement events
• Thanksgiving baskets
• Happy hours
• Parent Survey
• Date Night
Teacher/Staff & Classroom Support (Chaired by Kristin Abbott)
• Classroom/Grade Reps
• Teacher Appreciation
• Classroom Volunteers
• Teacher & Staff Survey of Wants and Needs
• Teacher Lounge Snacks/Drinks
Fundraising (Co-chaired by Sal Brugman & Gillian Willman)
• Movie Night Sales
• Family Photos
Governance (Chaired by Shereen Williams)
• Maintain Bylaws
• Strategic Planning Coordinator
• Leadership Training
Finance (Chaired by Althea Smith)
• Yearly Budget
• Maintain Financial Record
• Fundraising Reports
• Tax & Regulatory Affairs
• Financial Reports