August 19, 2020
Good Morning Seaton Families,
As we prepare for our school year’s virtual start, I wanted to share some important updates around technology, student materials, and family engagement opportunities.
Our technology and material distribution days will occur on August 26th, 27th, and 28th from 10 AM to 3 PM. On these days, families can come to Seaton to pick up technology and student materials. Please be patient as we practice social distancing protocols on these days.
At Seaton, we will ensure that every student has a device and internet access:
- If your K-5 student does not have a device or wi-fi hotspot and needs one, please come to Seaton to pick one up on the distribution days next week.
- If your K-5 student already has a device from Seaton, we are asking that you come to Seaton on one of the distribution day to return your device so that our technology team can upgrade the device to be ready for virtual learning. Your student will receive a new device that is already upgraded and will be ready to go for the first day of school.
- If you are using a device from your home, please ensure that it meets the recommended hardware specifications for student devices in DC Public Schools. You can find detailed guidance here.
Our PK3 and PK4 families will be offered iPads if they need a device. These devices are expected to arrive in mid-September. If your child needs a device before then, we will coordinate pick-up the week of 9/7.
DCPS and Seaton are committed to supporting parents in navigating virtual learning. On August 20th at 5:30PM, education technology experts from the DCPS Office of Teaching and Learning will guide families through how to use Canvas, Microsoft Teams, and other online tools for students. This virtual workshop is part of our #ReopenStrong Parent University that will take place weekly throughout the beginning of the school year. You can click HERE for more information and sign up to attend. All sessions are recorded and archived on YouTube to watch at your convenience.
Additionally, on Tuesday’s in September, Seaton will offer technology support office hours at Seaton Elementary School. If you need in-person tech support, you can stop by Seaton between 9AM and 12PM. If those hours do not work for you, please e-mail Assistant Principal Jimmie Roberts (firstname.lastname@example.org) to coordinate a different time.
At Seaton, we also want to ensure that all students have materials to support their learning at home. Please see the list of items we will be offering students at the beginning of the year. These items can be picked up on our distribution days next week. As the year continues, we will provide additional materials to students as needed.
colorful masking tape
large plastic bags
|FUNdations workbook and journal|
FUNdations letter boards
Eureka math workbooks
|Eureka math workbooks|
Upcoming Family Engagement Opportunities
We value our partnership with Seaton families and look forward to deepening this partnership this fall. With that in mind, we have several upcoming family engagement activities planned.
- Optional Virtual Meet & Greets with Teachers: Each grade-level team will host a virtual meet and greet to allow students the opportunity to meet their teachers before the first day of school. These meetings will occur via Microsoft Teams on Thursday, August 27th from 2:30PM to 3PM.
- Back-To-School Night: This event is an opportunity for grade-level teams to share an overview of the curriculum, virtual learning platforms, daily schedules, assignments, attendance and engagement, and expectations, etc. There will also be sessions hosted by our Social-Emotional Team, our Inner Core teachers (Physical Education, World Language, Art, Music, and Library), and our related service providers. This event will be virtual from 5:00-6:30 PM on September 3rd.
- Welcome Phone Calls: Due to Covid-19, we will be unable to conduct home visits at the beginning of this school year. In their place, teachers will be setting up Welcome Phone Calls with families as an opportunity to build relationships and to learn more about the hopes and dreams for your child this school year.
As always, we appreciate all of your grace as we kick off this unique school year! It will be a busy start, but we remain committed to serving our Seaton community.