Dear Seaton Families,
We are so excited to be starting the school year in just a few short weeks.
As you have heard, this school year will begin virtually; however, it will look much different from virtual learning in the spring. The list below highlights some of the key differences.
- Consistent Scheduling: There will be live scheduled instruction each day that students are required to attend. For example, in K-5, your child will begin their day in a morning meeting, followed by live sessions in both large and small groups throughout the day to engage in literacy, math, science, and social studies content. Inner Core classes (art, music, physical education, world language) will also be live for K-5, although students will not have all four inner core classes during the first semester.
- Limited and Consistent Virtual Platforms: During virtual learning periods, the curriculum will be accessed via Canvas, DCPS’ online learning management system, which allows for a more user-friendly, efficient, and organized approach to virtual learning. Live lessons will take place via Microsoft Teams. Students will have access to independent learning programs (St Math, Zearn, RAZ, Lexia) via Clever, and Remind will be utilized to communicate with families.
- Attendance: It is important to note that virtual instructional days will be compulsory, and daily attendance will be required. Student attendance will be taken each day as students log into Canvas. It is expected that students participate daily in live classes, access blended learning platforms, and submit independent assignments.
Scheduling with Equity in Mind:
At Seaton, we embrace our diversity, foster an inclusive environment, develop students’ cross-cultural understanding, and work to eliminate structural inequities that limit equitable learning opportunities. As we plan for this upcoming school year, we will continue to ensure that our decisions are promoting equity. With this in mind, please note the following items:
- Students will be scheduled and class lists will be created in ways that promote equity including some grouping based on current academic needs as well as whole group academic opportunities. Due to the complexity of scheduling, DCPS school leaders and staff members will not be able to account for pandemic pods during the scheduling process, including in group arrangements or schedule times.
- During small group portions of the schedule, our teachers will prioritize our students furthest from opportunity to ensure that our current context does not exasperate these gaps. All Seaton students will receive small group instruction, but the amount of time will vary based on individualized students’ needs.
- Class Lists
- PK3, PK4, and K: Teachers will receive their class lists upon their return to duty on August 24. All families should expect to hear from their child’s teacher by August 26.
- 1st – 5th: Students will work with a team of teachers, rather than a homeroom teacher. You can see the grade-level teams below. Please respect that teachers are still on summer break; they deserve this opportunity to rejuvenate. Teachers return to duty on August 24, and you can reach out at this time.
- Technology: Seaton will provide technology and wifi hotspots to any family who needs them. Please contact AP Roberts (email@example.com) to arrange pick-up.
- Materials: Seaton will provide consumables (Fundations/Eureka workbooks) and additional materials to students. Details about pick-up dates/times are forthcoming. Additionally, if you know your child needs basic school materials (pencils, folders, notebooks, etc.), please complete this materials request form or contact our business manager, Alicia Hill (Alicia.firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Next week, Principal Jacobs will share a FAQ document with more information about virtual learning for Seaton families. If you would like to submit a question to be addressed through this document, please use this form.
- For more information on DCPS virtual instruction, please visit DCPSReopenStrong.com.
Remember, Seaton is here to support our families; do not hesitate to reach out at email@example.com or 202-420-8059 with questions, concerns, or ideas.
1st-5th Grade Level Teacher Teams
|1ST GRADE||2ND GRADE||3RD GRADE||4TH GRADE||5TH GRADE|
|Fabiana Duarte |
Meg Talewski Kirsten Wosleger
|Madeline Burkett Alice McNeill Gillian Page||Stacie Dunlap Shuzhi Guo Lasonya Jackson||Amanda D’Angelo Brittany McAllister Morgan Werner||Elaine Gold Lauren McMahon Stephanie Miller|