February 6, 2017
Dear Seaton Parents,
We are excited to announce that Seaton Elementary School will host its second annual school-wide Science Fair this school year! This project grew out of a realization that many kinds of learning experiences, both in and beyond the classroom contribute significantly to the education of students. A science fair project is one of the best learning experiences a student can undertake. All students are invited to participate in the Science Fair, and with your encouragement, your child will succeed. We feel the following benefits will be derived from your child’s participation in the Seaton ES Science Fair:
- Reinforcement of grade level science curriculum standards
- Reinforcement of literacy and math skills
- Fostering curiosity, awareness, and creativity
- Increased scientific knowledge
- Learning research techniques
- Learning long-term project planning – an important skill for life!
- Growth in ability to work independently
- Gaining responsibility for completing a task
- Having fun with science
- Providing our schools and community with the opportunity to recognize and encourage student interest in science
In addition to the opportunity to work on a project, the Seaton ES Science Fair provides students with an increased awareness of science and an opportunity for them to develop positive attitudes about themselves and their work. The science project allows children to use critical thinking and problem solving skills learned in science and in math.
Students must choose a project topic and return the attached form to their teacher by Tuesday, February 16, 2017. Although students will receive help at school from Science Fair Sponsors during Afterschool and Saturday Labs, parental support and assistance are necessary from home. We have attached information that will assist students/parents with working on their projects at home.
The Science Fair will be held on Thursday, March 16, 2017 and will consist of three categories: PK-3 & PK-4; K – 2nd; & 3rd – 5th. Our Science Fair Sponsors, Lightbox Energy (our Adopt-a-School partner) along with Ms. Kirkpatrick and Ms. Campbell are here to address any questions/concerns that you have regarding the project and/or Science Fair. Thank you in advance for your participation in Seaton Elementary School’s 2016 Science Fair!